Summer College Intern – Gexa (Innovations Team)
Date:Sep 29, 2020
Primary Location:Houston, TX, US, 77070
Requisition ID: 46429
/NextEra Energy Services is one of the fastest-growing retail energy providers, delivering innovative energy solutions with affordable electricity plans, including 100 percent renewable energy plans to more than 1.1 million residential and business customers throughout North America.
Position Specific Description
Gexa Energy is one of the fastest growing retail electric providers in the United States. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources – the world’s largest producer of wind and solar energy, and one of the top 25 companies in the world for Innovation, according to Fortune.
This internship position will support Gexa Energy’s residential Innovation and New Product Development team which focuses on scanning and scouting for emerging technologies, new business models and strategic partnerships to develop innovative Energy Management products and services at the intersection of Distributed Generation, Internet of Things connected devices, Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
The candidate will have exposure to a wide variety of business functions including Product Development, Connected devices, Data Science, Digital Marketing, Operations, Customer Care and Pricing. The internship will focus on providing Marketing and/or analytical support to one or more key business functions.
Potential Opportunities Include:
• New Product Design- Research, conduct competitive analysis, plan for and/or assist in deployment of cutting edge technologies focused on energy management products and services
• Advanced Analytics & Data Science- Leverage advanced analytics including but not limited to AI and machine learnings to better understand and predict impact of energy management technologies on consumer behavior, energy consumption and spend
• Digital Marketing and User Experience- Digital content creation. Using Google analytics and other tools to better understand customer interaction with Gexa Energy’s web assets and mobile app. Working with business unit leaders to translate insights into improvements in user experience
• Candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills, along with proficiency with Microsoft Office
• Applicants should have experience working with others to create quantitative prediction models. Enthusiasm for the renewable energy space is appreciated; experience with time series modeling or machine learning is preferred.
• Understanding of customer lifecycle, research, testing, and launching new products and services
• Our team codes in Python, R, C#, C++ and Java, and uses both relational databases (SQL Server, Oracle) and NoSQL databases (MongoDB). We also do a fair amount of ad-hoc Excel modeling in product design. Applicants should feel comfortable with some of these technologies, and have a desire to learn.
Education, Experience, Skills
• Academic focus in Engineering, Informatics, Statistics, Computer Science or Marketing. Business Administration and Economics are a plus
• A student of how technology interaction and User Experience impacts business
• Excellent teamwork and project management capabilities
To be considered for an internship, you must be actively enrolled at a college or university as a full-time student seeking a bachelor’s degree or higher. You must also have a current cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher (on a 0.00 to 4.00 scale).
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists department with assigned projects
- Completes challenging projects and assignments
- Presents final project to senior leadership at the end of the internship
- Assumes responsibility for own travel, lodging, and transportation necessary to be available for the program
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- High school grad / GED
- Maintain active enrollment in a Bachelor or higher degree program
- Maintain cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Employee Group: Non Exempt
Employee Type: Temporary
Job Category: Intern
Organization: Gexa Energy LP
Location: Houston, Texas
Other Work Locations: Florida; Texas
Relocation Provided: No
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.