Position: Graphic Design Intern
Reports to: Head of Marketing
Participate is a quickly-growing social learning start-up based out of Chapel Hill, N.C. We partner with nonprofits, organizations and education institutions to build customized online communities that provide engaging learning opportunities based on learner needs and goals. At Participate, we come to work each day because we want to build the place where people can learn how, when and where they want. We put our core values into everything we do and every decision we make – create bold and meaningful solutions, work together for the greater good, grow from successes and failures and be kind.
As a Graphic Design Intern, you will be responsible for all internal and external graphic material. Your role is to bring ideas to life. Together with our team, you will develop new visualizations and innovative design approaches to delight and drive customers to sale. This is a unique opportunity to gain real world experience in a fast-paced environment that emphasizes growth and creativity. At Participate, we value teamwork, so you will be in the midst of a cross-functional environment where you will collaborate with our sales, product and customer success teams.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Designing all digital and print material to support marketing strategy. Channels include our website, social media, sales collateral, and email marketing.
- Maintaining brand consistency in all collateral.
- File organization of assets in a shared cloud drive.
- Participating in marketing strategy ideation and being the voice for visualization.
- Innovating and improving on designs through iterative team feedback.
- Measure the success of your designs and optimize your approach based on routine data analyzation.
- Responsible for understanding the organization’s vision and how this role supports company-wide strategies.
- Keep abreast of industry news and trends.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
This role is designed to challenge you to think about graphic design as a tool for marketing in a real-world context. Through this internship, you will learn how to be an active visual problem-solver, and challenge yourself to apply your knowledge and skills to think about design in ways that lead to tangible impact.
Relevant skills and experience
- 6 months – 2 years of experience in graphic design, communications or marketing.
- Adaptability to a dynamic environment, agile, resourceful and thoughtful.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign (animation skills a plus).
- Fluent in Google Drive, as it is our main file creation and management system.
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker, with an ability to use data to inform all decisions.
- Strong written and communication skills to assist in marketing content creation.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time in a fast-paced environment.
- A passion and strong understanding of the industry and our company’s mission.
- Professional, cooperative and positive attitude.
- Drive to learn, develop skills and grow as a professional.
- Ability to be an independent worker while maintaining a team player attitude.
- We value your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role.
Time commitment: 15 – 30 hours per week, minimum commitment of 3 months
Internship duration: The internship has a flexible deadline, with the potential to extend to a full-time position.
Our values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Participate is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. Our employees and our organization thrive when we do this right. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates the diversity of our employees, customers and users. We do this through building products that work for everyone by including perspectives from backgrounds that vary by race, ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status and national origin.
A foundational part of our work is to bring people together in community and conversation around things that matter so we can learn with and from each other. We continue to educate ourselves about our shared history so that we can better understand the systemic inequities we continue to face today and take action to create a more equitable workplace, organization and world.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND YOUR RESUME AND PORTFOLIO LINK (OR SAMPLES OF YOUR WORK) TO APPLICATIONS@PARTICIPATE.COM