The Severance Tax Consultant (“Consultant”) works with the team to identify severance tax incentives and deductions in order to reduce overall severance tax liabilities for our clients. The Consultant will gain an understanding of the mechanics of severance taxes on a multistate basis. This includes, but is not limited to, incentive research and analysis, proficient utilization of databases, and performing detailed reconciliations and calculations.
Duties and responsibilities, as they align to Ryan’s Key Results
- Create a positive team experience.
- Performs fieldwork at client site to review support documentation necessary to substantiate incentive applications and refund claims.
- Communicates and interacts with clients and external contacts at Regulatory and Taxing Authorities.
- Researches and analyzes state severance tax issues and communicates to management.
- Gathers data, performs data entry, and performs detailed calculations.
- Works with data and software in Microsoft® Access and Excel in order to prepare refund claims.
- Performs company research for utilization in proposal and prospect development initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Engineering, MIS/Entrepreneurship, or other degree with MBA, MST or JD.
- Minimum of 9 hours in Accounting (GPA of 3.0 or higher).
- Strong academic credentials (minimum Overall 3.0+ GPA).
- Relevant work experience preferred (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs).
- Bachelor’s degree and zero to two years audit or tax related experience.
- Desire to perform in a high-energy team environment.
- Demonstrated leadership, problem solving, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage ambiguity.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft® Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet navigation and research.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid driver’s license required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Standard indoor working environment.
Occasional long periods of sitting while working at computer.
Position requires regular interaction with employees and clients both in person and via e-mail and telephone.
Independent travel requirement: up to 25%.
50+ hour standard workweek requirement.
Equal Opportunity Employer: disability/veteran