Internship: June 2021 – August 2021
Hours: 24-40 hour per week
Position Reports To: VP of Engineering
Compensation: $23- $33 per hour, commensurate with experience
Who is Saga
Saga Education is a national nonprofit that has served over 17,600 students with high-dose math tutoring during their regular school day. Fueling this work is a bold vision to combat educational inequity by working with school districts to unlock the power of personal relationships to nurture academic, social and emotional growth for young people. Our students and schools represent historically marginalized communities. Our mission is to provide them rigorous, high impact tutorials that ensure they have the confidence and academic strength to achieve success in high school and beyond.
For more information, please visit us at www.sagaeducation.org.
The Work and Why it Matters
Our software engineering team supports this bold vision by building best-in-class products. Today this includes, Saga Connect, Saga Coach, and Woot Math. Saga Connect is an online learning platform for live tutor-student interactions. It enables our tutors (Saga Fellows and AmeriCorps members) to deliver high quality online math instruction. It was ranked as the best online platform for live instruction by the College Board, and today, we are proud to support the use of it by other organizations.
Saga is the best at training non-educators to be high quality and high impact. Our most recent effort is Saga Coach, an innovative platform that strives to capture this training in a self-serve course that is as engaging as it is effective.
Last, we continue to deepen our direct support of math teachers through Woot Math, a research-based, award-winning adaptive learning and formative assessment platform for the K-12 math classroom (acquired by Saga Education in 2020).
Our team is passionate about building high-value products that enable transformative learning and support the teachers and tutors that are the frontline of that work. To do this, we continuously gather data, listen to our users, and focus on providing tools and platforms that are as effective as they are delightful.
“My experience as a Saga intern was full of exploration and engaging problem solving. I was always working on something new, exciting, and enriching, with a team of helpful and caring engineers.” – Yasaman M, IIT ‘23
No matter the language or technology, our goal remains the same: to deliver best-in-class, innovative products that reimagine how software can help teachers and tutors reach more students.
Saga Education is at the forefront of education reform and innovation, and we are investing heavily into technology and products to accelerate this vision. We’re looking for a Software Engineering Intern to be an active member of the software team to help drive innovation in a rapidly changing environment.
Saga Education acquired Woot Math for its advanced technology platform, and is continuing to build out capacity and capabilities in the mobile web space. The Woot Math leadership team previously held executive positions at Disney Online, and the team has a rich history of developing award-winning, best-in-class software products.
- Work with a team of software engineers to develop products used by our tutors and students
- Develop front-end and back-end technologies to further Saga’s mission
- Mission Alignment – You acknowledge social injustice in education and have a desire to grow
- Nimble Learning – You use both successes and failures to actively learn new lessons
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness – You use feedback and reflection to gain productive insight
- Collaborates – You work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Action Oriented – You take on new opportunities and have a solutions-oriented approach
Experience & Qualifications
You may meet or have interest in any one of the following qualifications:
- Proficient in writing front-end or back-end software
- Pursuing BS/MS/PhD program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related fields
- Experience with software debugging and critical thinking skills
- Experience with analytical and problem-solving skills
- Passionate about developing software products that make an impact in education
This position is not eligible for standard benefits but will have access to 7 PTO days.