Company: South Post Oak Recycling Center
South Post Oak Recycling Center (SPORC) is a Houston based Metal Recycling Company. SPORC is celebrating 27 years in business as a trusted metal recycling service partner to households, contractors, manufacturing companies, corporations, and government entities through the Greater Houston area. SPORC is part of the recycling loop and focuses on buying recyclable scrap metal such as aluminum, brass, copper, iron and the like from various customer segments, then supplies scrap to downstream mills and foundries to make new metal products.
Our mission is to move material responsibly. While that is what we show up to do daily, our values that we live by are safety, speed, service, environment, competitive, community and innovation.
SPORC is a family-owned business that is professionally operated and led. We like to say that this is a “fun place to work hard and have an impact”. Through our work we really are impacting the world 1 pound at a time.
Accounting/Bookkeeper Position Description:
The Accountant / Bookkeeper is a key contributor to the success of South Post Oak by helping to establish and maintain accuracy of the Company’s Finances.
This position is responsible for multiple accounting functions, with a focus on Inventory.
· Working with operations manager to set prices
· Entry level margin setting aligns with pricing strategy
· Comfortable working with some leadership that works remotely
· Bank account reconciliation
· Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable reconciliations
· Credit Card reconciliations
· Manage all accounting transactions.
· Managing entries for commodities recycled/purchased
· Monitor accounts receivable
· Work with management on financial and accounting recommendations
· Expense management and categorization
· Work on month inventory close
· Recording daily actions and posting journal entries
· Handle billing invoices
· Monthly reporting
· Receipt of goods.
· Manage balance sheets and profit/loss statements.
· Pricing (contracts/ daily pricing) based on marking strategy
· Analytics/ Business intelligence
· Fix assets in data entry
· Run customer commodity reports
· Work with HR on employee hours worked
· Generating financial statements: Making adjustments to the trial balance and generating the income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows
· Work with CFO to categorize companies’ assets
· Proficiency with QuickBooks and inventory control functions.
· Maintain QuickBooks system to ensure database is clean
· Categorize bank feeds
· Manage chart of accounts
· Report to CFO and Operations Manager
· Inventory Management
· Ensure inventory accuracy through partnering with Production and Warehouse Managers.
· Oversee all movement of inventory within the system.
· Make adjustments to end of month inventory
· Month-end closing of all inventory transactions and reporting.
Skills, Knowledge, and Competencies
· interpersonal and Customer Relations skills – be able to always maintain a professional and courteous attitude with employees and third-party individuals.
Planning/Organizational skills – able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and work through projects in a self-motivated manner.
Adaptability – able to adapt to rapid changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
Problem-solving skills – able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; able to apply independent judgment on a regular basis in making decisions.
· High School Diploma
· 2 years of strong Bookkeeping experience with QuickBooks
· Experience working with taxes
· Price modeling experience
· Trade experience