Who is Square One Prep?
We are a boutique MBA Admissions Consultancy with the highest track record in the industry (88%). Launched in 2009, we love helping folks realize their business school aspirations and are seeking super sharp, motivated Chief of Staff to join our team in a part-time/independent contract capacity. You would work remotely and occasionally from the office in New York, NY. Thus, you MUST reside in New York City. You must have the ability to come into the office, as initially that will be required until you learn the ropes. Additionally, the best way to gain opportunities to expand your role – and unburden the company owner – will occur if you are at the office with her. You must be someone who wants to ask, “What more can I do?” if you are not that person, do not apply.
Who are you?
You've been through the MBA application process. You got through it successfully, or you wouldn't be reading this now. So let's start with a few questions: Did you enjoy the process? When you submitted your applications, did you feel not only a sense of relief but also that you knew yourself much better than you did prior to working on your applications? When you got an invitation to matriculate did you feel on top of the world? Do you think you would enjoy enabling a team of 35-40 advisors who are guiding aspiring MBAs to feel the same feelings you did? If your answer is YES, then keep reading.
In the slow months (Feb-May), you may work only 10-15 hours per week. In the busy months (June-January), you will work 40-50 hours per week – and it will be random. We do not have set hours. If you need set hours, this is not the role for you. If you are unable to compartmentalize and recognize that although you may be answering emails sporadically throughout a day/evening you are not actually working nonstop that day, this is not the job for you. If, on the other hand, you love momentum, and being a truly integral part of a company, this could be a great role for you.
To learn more about us, visit www.squareoneprep.com. There you will find all you need to know about our mission, track record, services, and how those who have partnered with us feel about us. We are particularly proud of the testimonials, as they tell the story about how invested we are in our client's success. A big part of that investment is about ensuring that we function effectively as a team and employ our process judiciously with clients. Part of your role will be focused on ensuring our team of advisors is following the process with their clients and are well trained to do just that.
In fact, let's get to the nuts and bolts of what your job will involve:
- Proposal Creation - create/send new client proposals and follow up with clients re payments (we work with 150-180 per year)
- Schedule Creation /Advisor Bio Selection– create/send prospective clients schedules and a collection of advisor bios so they can see what their lives would look like if they partner with us as well as who their advisor options are. You will manage the process of scheduling intro calls between advisor/clients and follow-up. Creating schedules takes strategic thoughtfulness. Defining what advisor bios to send a prospect takes strategic thoughtfulness. This is not a support role.
- Fee/Revenue File Management - pay advisors, manage client billing, track client payments
- Client schedule oversight – ensure advisors are staying on track with their client schedules. This is not a reactive task. You need to be on top of partnerships - know where each is in their process and why.
- Advisor Mentor - serve as daily resource for all advisor related process/payment questions, and ensure they upload final partnership files correctly, fully, and promptly when they complete their written application work with clients ahead of time - THIS IS A PROCTIVE ROLE, NOT A REACTIVE ONE WHERE YOU MERELY ASK FOR UPDATES AND TRUST WHAT’S TOLD TO YOU. You will at times need to get on calls with advisors, with clients, and with both advisors/clients. You must want to do this. You must want to see matters in holistic way and solve issues in a holistic way – before they require escalation to the company owner. If you are not someone who wants to take charge, but instead defer to others, this is not the right role for you. You will need to get to know partnerships well. If the owner asks you how one is going, you should be able to state details. If you have to refer to a file to do so, this is not the role for you. This requires building, managing. And altering graphic schedules. If you do not think well in a graphic manner, this is not the job for you. Our schedules are visual. They are strategic. If you can’t “see” process visually this is not the job for you.
- Sourcing/Interviewing/Onboarding/Training of all advisors to ensure they know how to do their role well and how to utilize the resources. We have great training materials. But perhaps you will see ways to improve them. You must be proactive about this – want to learn the job of the advisor so well that you could do it yourself as that is the only way you will be able to train advisors. If you do not have a good bedside/training manner, this role is not right for you.
- Essay & Letter of Rec. questions files - create for each school as online applications are released
- Deadlines/Interview/ decision deadline file - create and keep advisors informed of upcoming deadlines and decision dates so they alert their clients at the appropriate times
If any of the above feels “beneath” you, please don’t reply, as the owner doe all of the above now and it’s not beneath her. Everything above helps the company guides its clients to success.
Now, let's talk about the pay structure. You will be an independent contractor. Your annual payout depends on your performance and could range from $75K-$150K in the first year – yes the range is significant because it depends entirely on YOU. You will be paid monthly. If you own your role and build not only trust with the company owner but momentum that allows you to take on more responsibility because you prove yourself to be a thought leader, you will be rewarded. If you unburden the owner, you will be rewarded. Trust, problem solving, awareness of your impact, and innovative thinking are essential. THERE WILL BE A PERFORMANCE-BASED BONUS. It is not guaranteed. It is performance-based.
The right person for this role will have:
- an NYC address – if you do not, please do not respond to this posting.
- a VERY proactive mindset – your job is to unburden the company owner, not add weight to her plate and defer everything to her
- an interest in understanding the MBA application landscape
- an ability to work weekends (remotely)
- an ability to come into the office as necessary (most work is remote)
- an ability to think strategically and graphically
- an eye for creating operational and team efficiencies
-an interest in taking on more responsibility to grow with the company
- strong grammar skills as you will correspond with clients and advisors
- strong emotional intelligence as, again, you will be working with advisors and clients
- patience and social grace as you will get asked a lot of questions by 35-40 advisors and 150-180 clients regarding process/payment matters
- the capacity to handle candor as the owner, Kathryn, is very direct with her guidance as she knows that the best way to guide clients to success is to ensure we challenge them and follow our process. It will be imperative for you to want to be challenged and become "one" with our process as you will be the advisors' lifeline to it when they have questions about it.
- foresight – the ability to see problems before they occur and mitigate them – this cannot be stressed enough as your role will be to oversee a team of advisors who are often working against the clock to get work done with clients. You cannot just react to advisor updates. You need to have an interest in knowing advisors and their partnership dynamics so well that you know how to help them navigate issues before those issues become real issues and certainly before they must be escalated to Leadership
Interested in learning more? Please email Kathryn (firstname.lastname@example.org) your current resume. In your email please share why you think you are perfect for this role and would want to grow with our company. Please explain what "growing with a company" means to you.
Thanks. We look forward to hearing from you!