Start Small Think Big is a non-profit on a mission to catalyze entrepreneurship in marginalized communities. Founded eleven years ago in New York City, we have successfully expanded our work throughout New York and California, with offices in New York City, Oakland, and San Jose. We are now in the midst of another period of rapid growth and expansion. We are working to replicate our model nationally and grow existing programs to serve more significant numbers of entrepreneurs. As we scale our work, we are engaged in an intentional process to identify, understand, and address bias at all levels and advance equity, from the inside out.
In order to connect small business owners with the strongest pro bono legal, financial and marketing support to transform their growing businesses, build wealth for themselves and their families, and create jobs for others in their communities, Start Small Think Big has:
- Partnered with the majority of the top 100 U.S. law firms, including Cooley, Wilson, Sonsini & Godrich, Fenwick & West, Simpson Thacher, WeilGotshal, Cleary Gottlieb, Debevoise & Plimpton.
- Partnered with some of the biggest and most well-respected financial and marketing corporations, including eBay, Pay Pal, American Express, Morgan Stanley, Google, Goldman Sachs, Group Nine Media
- Secured significant support for our work from some of the largest and most forward-thinking foundations in the space, including Kauffman, JPMorgan Chase, Citi.
In 2020, Start Small supported 3500 businesses across our three tiers of programming. In 2021, we are working to build the infrastructure and programming to scale to serve tens of thousands of small businesses nationwide.
Start Small is seeking a talented and dynamic individual to assist our work with the NY State Pandemic Small Business Recovery Grant. The Grant Administration Intern will support our efforts to provide services and application support to small businesses throughout New York State to provide Covid Relief and Grant assistance. This includes: coordinating appointments, assisting with grant questions and applications, data entry and management, and collaborating with internal staff to expand our outreach efforts. The intern will report directly to our Sr. Program Manager, Impact and collaborate with our Legal Program and Community Engagement teams.
Job Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct phone, text, email, and other relevant outreach to connect with eligible small businesses
- Scheduling and conducting phone interviews, video calls, emails with clients to assist with application process for NYS Pandemic Small Business Recovery Grant
- Attend internal and external meetings related to the administration of the grant
- Maintain internal and external reporting as required to successfully administer the grant, including data entry with internal CRM system (Salesforce) and with external database as it relates directly to this grant
- Help to maintain Start Small Think Big’s client database
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Current student with a concentration in research, evaluation, non-profit management, public policy, or other related disciplines.
- Spanish language fluency highly desired.
- Experience with data entry and CRM applications. Prior experience with governmental databases, lending applications, and Salesforce strongly preferred.
- Experience conducting in-person and phone interviews, excellent communication skills with multiple stakeholders, comfortable communicating on the phone.
- Excellent attention to detail. Highly organized and analytical.
- Ability to work independently and the willingness to innovate are strongly encouraged.
- Strong relationship building and communication skills, including the ability to work effectively across cultural differences and a demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and reflection on one’s identity
- A deep commitment to providing non-judgmental, culturally-appropriate programs and services across race, class, gender, gender identity and expression, national origin, ability, or any other identity marker with a strong sense of accountability to client experience
- Commitment to inclusive community/economic development, social and economic justice work, and anti-poverty work.