JOB NUMBER: 31911
Why you should join us:
Supporting our people. Caring for our communities. Living our purpose.
With our operations declared an essential service, we are continuing to operate and are looking to fill business-critical roles at this time. We require qualified and safety-focused employees to help keep things running. In terms of our current recruitment process, we’re doing things a bit differently to adjust to our new ‘normal.’ We are using technology to conduct virtual interviews to adhere to physical distancing recommendations and we are well set up for remote onboarding and orientation.
We are bolstered by the unity across our community and the solidarity across the world. We continue to encourage you to support global efforts to limit the impact of COVID-19 with good hygiene practices, physical distancing, and with care and consideration for the people around you. For more information on how we’re responding to COVID-19, click here. #StrongerTogether
Our Supply, Trading and Optimization group is expanding the current crude and refined products trading platform with focus on enhancing the optimization and trading activities supporting a broader international footprint. Our Houston trading office initially opened in 2014 and has since doubled in size to 20 employees in 2020 with continued plans to grow! The office is backed by Canada’s leading integrated energy company; the scope is broad and the corporate visibility and need for input is high. Suncor currently has Supply, Trading and Optimization offices in Calgary, London, and Houston.
If you have experience in risk management analysis and want the opportunity to help support a growing international team, then we have the role for you! We are looking for an individual with experience in crude or refined products to join our Middle Office team supporting crude trading activities.
You will use your expertise to:
- Analyze and publish the daily risk management exposure reports, profit and loss (P&L) reports, and other related reporting requirements for our North American and International crude trading activity
- Administer risk governance policies and standards as part of the control program supporting the supply and trading business
- Operate as the main day-to-day risk function contact for our crude and products trading team in the United States based in Houston, with strong connectivity to our Calgary and London teams
- Collaborate with commercial and other functions to support the growth of new business initiatives
- Look for continuous improvement opportunities in processes and systems
We’d like to review your application if you have…
Must-haves (minimum requirements):
- Two years of experience in the oil and gas industry
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, mathematics, or computer science
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (e.g. complex formulae, macros)
- Proficiency in analyzing complex sets of data, and you can independently problem solve
- Effective interpersonal skills as well as strong verbal and written communication skills which allow you to build strong, positive relationships
- A high level of intellectual curiosity for understanding commodity compliance, finance, and commerce
- Alignment with our values: safety above all else, stronger together, operational discipline, curiosity and lifelong learning, act with integrity
- Two years of experience in a crude, refined products, or LPG trading environment
- Experience in a large organization with complex operations and a strong sophisticated control environment
- Strong knowledge of SQL, VBA, and Power BI
- Completion of or working towards a professional accounting (CPA, CMA, CGA) or finance designation (CFA, FRM, ERP)
- Working knowledge of Energy Trading Risk Management systems (e.g. Commodity XL, Open Link, Allegro)
- Knowledge of risk management concepts and the trading cycle
Where you’ll be working, your work schedule, and other meaningful information:
- You will work out of our Houston office, located at 2 Allen Centre, 1200 Smith St. on our crude and products trading floor
- Hours of work are a regular 40-hour work week, Monday to Friday
- Flexibility in work hours required to support commodity markets-based, holiday calendars
- Working in a fast-paced environment where multi-million dollar energy contracts are facilitated on the market each day
Suncor Energy (U.S.A.) Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Suncor, a leading integrated energy company based in Alberta, Canada with a business portfolio that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing.
We want you to have a job that will fit your life – as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
Competitive base salary, compensation programs and an annual incentive program
- Work/Life Balance
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Stay connected to us:
- Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job postings and news
- Join our Talent Community and sign up to receive customized job alerts
- Visit our Report on Sustainability to see our progress on a number of environmental, social and economic topics and what we’re doing to position our company for the future
- Read our Suncor Connections newsletter to see what we’re doing in the communities we live and work in
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.