TalkingPoints is an award-winning education technology non-profit organization with the mission to unlock the potential of low-income, underserved families to support their children’s learning by partnering with their children’s schools. COVID-19 remote learning environment has made our mission ever more urgent and important. We’re building a one-of-a-kind product in the market, a multilingual family engagement platform that connects families and teachers using human and artificial intelligence powered, two-way translated messages and personalized supports—eliminating language, time limitations, and know-how as barriers to school/family connection.
Millions of teachers and families are using TalkingPoints in their classrooms and schools and districts across the U.S. TalkingPoints works with key school district partners such as Oakland Unified, Wake County and NYC DOE. We have won awards from NYU, MIT, Google.org, Ashoka, Forbes and are backed by Google.org, AT&T, Carnegie Corporation, Schmidt Futures, Stanford University and NewSchools Venture Fund, to name a few. Most recently we were named an evidence-based learning platform to support by MIT’s J-Pal, and our research partners include University of Chicago and MIT. Learn more.
Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
As a Product Design Intern, you’ll work directly with the Lead Product Designer, and you’ll also meet our product managers and engineers. You’ll learn about and touch all areas of design across TalkingPoints’ products for web and mobile. You’ll also work on some marketing creative and participate in research sessions. Most importantly, you’ll get to experience working in a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit that feels like a tight-knit family.
- Design social media images for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Create blog post headers
- Apply and extend our design language
- Spruce up presentation decks
- Partake in user research sessions
- Help conduct and analyze user surveys
- Learn and use data analysis tools
- Support and improve our complex design system in Figma
- Improve usability of our web and mobile products
- Conceptualize and design features for our two web products and three mobile products
- Learn and apply design processes
- Experience agile sprint management
Who you are
- You are passionate about making a difference
- You are a budding designer with an eye for detail
- You are excited to gain experience in various areas of design
- You are in love with Figma and proficient designing in it (or on the path to learning it)
- You are a self-starter, able to work independently (with plenty of guidance)
- You have a background or experience with communities we serve (e.g., underserved populations, education, immigration, bilingual and/or multicultural environments)
- You are worried you might not check off every box (please don’t let that stop you from applying)
What we offer
- Paid internship around 10 hours/weeks from anywhere in the U.S.
- Exposure and participation in all areas of UX design, from strategic product design (mobile and web) to marketing materials to user research
- Active guidance and mentorship while you execute various design tasks
- An incredible opportunity to be part of a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit
- Fun, smart, dynamic, motivated team focused on working together to transform family engagement to serve the families who need it most
How to apply
Please submit your resume, a brief paragraph describing your interest, a link to your LinkedIn profile, and a couple of links to any of your design projects or Figma files