WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our ‘best in class’ investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
The Data Architect performs highly complex (senior-level) business and technology analysis focused on data architecture, data platforms, data integration and data management needs across the organization. Work involves analyzing requirements and anticipating needs for new data systems and understanding evolving data storage, processing and usage needs, evolving data technology needs and making recommendations and suggestions for solutions in support of digital business initiatives.
The Data Architect will support the expansion of the organization’s use of data and advance the architecture to support evolving needs by strategically designing, developing, and implementing data architectures and models for enterprise-level applications, analytical datastores and other data-dependent systems and processes. As well as analyzing existing architectures, discover business usage patterns and future plans and set direction for data architecture. The Data Architect will evaluate data technology needs, participate in scrum teams, provide guidance to developers and act as an advocate of well rationalized and managed data architecture and data management practices.
Duties involve close coordination with business and IT in crafting architecture strategies and evolving solutions; conceptual and logical modeling of database structures as well as overall data architecture planning; data modeling; implementing architecture components and dealing with aspects of data warehouses, and data analytics platforms. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment
WHAT WILL YOU DO:
Duties and Responsibilities
Data Architecture Strategy & Planning
• Develops and refines data architecture strategy by working with business and IT leadership to modernize data-related systems to make data available for use cases and data-driven decision-making.
• Influences information strategy and provides direction: Assess, develops and communicates enterprise data architecture strategies and standards by partnering with business unit leaders, developers, data users, clients, and other key stakeholders.
• Creates short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term architecture objectives and overall data management roadmaps.
• Uses expertise to lead efforts to identify, evaluate, and use emerging technologies in the domain of data systems that meet feasibility, performance and governance.
• Assists data and analytics leaders, and business and IT leadership in developing information governance processes and structures.
• Enables enterprise information management: Ensures that the architecture is used as a lens and a filter to identify, prioritize and execute the data and analytic initiatives with line of sight to enterprise strategies and business outcomes.
• Analyzes and works with business and technical staff to assess existing data access and processing patterns, and designs forward-thinking data architectures to meet business and technical needs.
• Works with database administrators to plan and implement capacity and resource expansion to ensure data scalability. And to design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective availability, protection, and integrity of data assets.
• Identifies and documents patterns in data relationships from disparate systems, working with large amounts of structured and unstructured data.
• Assists in establishing processes for governing the identification, collection, and use of corporate metadata; take steps to assure metadata accuracy and validity.
• Assists in establishing methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy, and improvement. And to meet the evolving demands for data management and data analytics.
• Conducts research on data architecture and data management trends to use in planning and recommendations.
• Ensures that data strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance.
Data Design and Development
• Assists in determining database structural requirements by analyzing business operations and application functional needs; reviews objectives with business, developers and database administrators and evaluates current systems.
• Provides guidelines on creating data models for proposed new systems and on defining database structure and functional capabilities.
• Develops database design and architecture documentation for project teams and management.
• Obtains data model requirements, develops and implements data models for new projects, and maintains existing data models and data architectures.
• Develops data structures for data warehouses and data mart projects and initiatives; and supports data analytics and business intelligence systems.
• Provides tactical and strategic direction in the areas of business intelligence analytics, data mining and visualization and assessment of data quality and consistency across platforms, products and business areas.
• Develops and promotes data management methodologies and standards.
• Oversees the mapping of data sources, data movement, interfaces, and analytics, with the goal of ensuring data quality.
• Collaborates with project managers and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data.
• Documents the data architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture.
• Identifies and develops opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement.
• Plans migration to new database management systems, helps map data to new data sources and ensures that migrations are appropriately tested and validated.
• Assists in selecting data management tools and developing the standards, usage guidelines, and procedures for using those tools.
• Conducts research, investigations and assists in the development of information and data architecture roadmaps.
Performs related work as assigned
WHAT WILL YOU BRING:
Minimum Required Education:
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in computer information systems, computer science, management information systems, or a related field.
• High School diploma or equivalent and additional directly related experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Minimum Required Experience:
• Five (5) years’ experience in IT working with data analysis, data modeling, data integration, data warehousing, data design, business intelligence, custom development, data analytics and reporting.
• Three (3) years’ work experience as data architect or in data management, requirements gathering, and solutions design.
• Hands-on data architecture experience mapping high-level business needs to common data platforms, solutions and patterns.
• Demonstrated advanced understanding and application of modern data architecture paradigms that promote sharing of data in consistent and manageable ways such as data lakes, data hubs and data
• Demonstrated advanced understanding and application of data platforms in support of natural language processing, machine learning and other advanced analytics
• Demonstrated expertise in data modeling, relational database technology, transaction processing, and data warehouse design.
• Direct experience in implementing enterprise data management processes, procedures, solutions design and decision support.
• Hands-on knowledge of enterprise repository tools, data modeling tools, data mapping tools, and data profiling tools.
• Demonstrated expertise with repository creation, and data and information system life cycle methodologies.
• Demonstrated expertise with advanced extract, transform and load software and metadata management techniques
• Experience with business requirements analysis, entity relationship planning, database design and reporting structures
• Experience with a variety of commonly used data and database platforms including cloud platforms and advanced analytics software stacks.
• Experience may be concurrent.
• Experience leading others through change.
• Experience with data management platforms such as Informatica and Talend.
• Experience with Microsoft Visio or other comparable flowcharting software.
• Experience in computer programming.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Emerging data and analytics technologies (i.e. Hadoop, Spark, MongoDB, Azure Data Lake, etc.)
• Cloud platforms and development patterns (i.e. AWS, Azure, MapReduce, etc.)
• Machine-learning, statistical analysis, artificial intelligence, predictive analytics.
• Relational data structures, theories, principles, and practices.
• Non-relational data structure, theories, principles and practices.
• Metadata management and associated processes.
• Web services (REST, SOAP, XML, WSDL, JSON).
• Data encryption and secure transmission practices (SSL, SSH, SFTP, Certificates, PKI, OAUTH2).
• Applicable data privacy practices and laws.
• Highly complex problem solving and critical thinking, and operating computers and applicable computer software.
• Planning, organizing, and coordinating work assignments to effectively meet frequent and/or multiple deadlines, handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and managing conflicting priorities and demands.
• Project management and system development life cycle concepts.
• Client/user interaction to determine system requirements.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Strong technical zeal with a passion for solving complex problems.
• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
• Work effectively in a professional team environment.
• Work in an Agile development environment.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
To view all job vacancies, visit www.trs.texas.gov/careers or www.trs.csod.com/careersite.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.