WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our ‘best in class’ investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
The Risk Analyst, Senior Analyst or Associate assists or works with Investment Division Management (IMD) staff in the improvement, maintenance and/or development of quantitative strategies, research and analysis to support risk-based portfolio management processes as well as the risk and portfolio management process of the overall investment fund. Work requires assistance with or data retrieval, cleaning, and manipulation to support existing portfolio and risk management efforts and the corresponding research processes. Work involves routine to advanced (journey to senior -level) investments research and analysis work under moderate to limited supervision with limited to considerate latitude for initiative and independent judgement. This position reports to the Chief Risk Officer and will also work directly with a portfolio manager.
Compensation: The TRS Investment Management Division offers an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, annual performance incentive bonus, a defined-benefit pension plan as well as 401(k) and 457 retirement plans, and comprehensive benefits.
Depending upon the qualifications of the individual selected and the discretion of the hiring manager the position will be filled at one of three levels (Analyst, Senior Analyst or Associate). Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
· Assists investment managers in conducting or conducts research and/or asset allocation analysis.
· Assists investment managers in analyzing or analyzes performance attribution using proprietary models.
· Assists in researching and analyzing or researches and analyzes macro- and micro-economic business conditions that directly affect agency investments.
· Assists in the maintenance/improvement of existing model code base and in the development of new quantitative and valuation models and techniques for investment diversification and risk management.
· Provides timely written or oral reports of analysis and recommendations to Investments staff and management.
· Assists in or performs the risk analysis of multiple investment asset classes managed both internally and externally including public equity (US, developed markets, emerging markets), fixed income, hedge funds, private equity (funds and principal investments), real assets, and energy investments.
· Assists in or prepares risk assessments of external managers to help ensure potential investments are an appropriate fit with the organization.
· Provides monthly reports to management on specific risk metrics to ensure the ongoing functioning of Trust activities.
· Assists in running or runs reports on daily Trust positioning.
· Assists with identifying trades needed to bring Trust in balance.
· Works to improves existing processes better to minimize trading costs and improve total Trust performance.
· Supports department head in updating daily and monthly market data.
· Works to improve communication of materials.
· Perform ad hoc assignments related to macro events.
· Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, finance, computer science, engineering, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts, or a related area.
· A Master’s degree in a related area may substitute for one (1) year of required experience.
· One (1) year of full-time professional investments experience.
· Three (3) years of full-time professional investments experience.
· Strong Excel (VisualBasic) and/or Python skills with a demonstrated ability to learn.
· Strong desire to work in financial industry.
· Experience in institutional investment research, accounting, financial analysis, statistical analysis, or a related field.
· A Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charter holder or a desire and demonstrated ability to achieve a CFA charter.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies, and fundamental investment factors.
· Statistical concepts, methods, and models, and their application to investments.
· Understanding of and ability to write programming code to process data in support of investment processes.
· Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and other business software to prepare correspondence, spreadsheets, charts, and reports.
· Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
· Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment, and in completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
· Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment.
· Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
· Meet deadlines without excessive management supervision.
· Work effectively in a professional team environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
· normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
· marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
· constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
· the ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
· frequent sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position; and
· the ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Must be able to:
· regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
· work extended hours as necessary;
· travel routinely for work assignments and trainings;
· show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
· adhere to the agency’s internal management policies and procedures; and
· exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Cores:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
To view all job vacancies, visit www.trs.texas.gov/careers or www.trs.csod.com/careersite.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.