Open Until Filled
Program Specialist VII (Texas Open Data Portal Coordinator)
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Data Office
$5258.67 – $7416.67 / monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th, #1300, Austin, TX 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources is the state agency charged with protecting the state’s data and critical technology infrastructure, managing a multi-billion dollar cooperative contracts program, and providing strategic technology leadership, solutions, and innovation to all levels of Texas government. DIR serves a wide spectrum of customers including State of Texas government agencies, county or local government offices, and public education entities of all sizes. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
The individual will perform highly advanced (senior-level) consultative services and program support. The individual will have excellent writing, communication, presentation, and analytical skills. This role will be involved in planning, coordinating, implementing, and monitoring open data program elements and services that support government and higher education organizations throughout the state. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- As the Texas Open Data Portal (ODP) Administrator manages all administrative support functions for existing and new customers of the ODP, including customer on-boarding, problem resolution, contract/amendment coordination, and vendor management.
- Identifies, analyzes, and reports ODP trends, usage, visits, and downloads and other key statistics on a monthly basis. Develops ODP dashboards for open data stewards and agency executive leadership.
- Participates and presents updates at the Texas Enterprise Information Management (TEIM) meetings and other briefings. Schedules and manages quarterly educational meetings of the Open Data Portal User Group (ODPUG) and its subcommittees; conducts and coordinates outreach activities (briefings, social media, presentations) with local and state agencies and institutions of higher education on data-related topics and program initiatives.
- Acts as a liaison with agencies and internal programs to demonstrate and explain the Texas Open Data Portal (ODP) and Closed Data Portal (CDP) portal instances. Serves as the domain administrator for CDP instances common across all state agencies. Assists in developing data-related training, educational and networking opportunities, and events for the OCDO. Presents at data related conferences/forums ODP updates, trends, and other data related material for groups (100-250 people) of government (state, local, county) and institutions of higher education; participates and contributes data-related knowledge at internal agency meetings (10-50 people) on data topics and concepts.
- Maintains knowledge of industry advances through research and by participating or attending vendor presentations and demonstrations on data products and services.
- Assists the Chief Data Officer in the development and implementation of enterprise data strategies and plans, as well as the formulation and dissemination of data standards and guidelines.
- Conducts outreach and overview presentation briefings for groups (5-10 people) of potential government/non-government ODP customers
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in computer information systems, data analytics, business administration, or a related field.
- Additional work-related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis (high-school diploma required)
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Minimum of five (5) years of proven experience in a customer service and support role.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience managing multiple priorities, problem solving, decision making, planning, and conducting presentations to IT and Business leadership
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience leveraging data to help solve complex business challenges/opportunities to drive business outcomes.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with relational databases using statistical applications for analyzing datasets (e.g. Excel, SAS, SPSS). Adept at queries and presenting findings in a clear and concise manner.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING PREFERRED
- Experience working with data management related principles, (enterprise information management, data governance, data quality, metadata and master data management, reference data, data handling ethics.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent communication skills – both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, correlate, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent skills in devising solutions to problems; in marketing programs; preparing reports.
- Excellent report writing, spelling, grammar, and presentation skills.
- Skill in coordinating and solving problems; consultative and advisory skills
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent tasks while effectively organizing, prioritizing, and coordinating work assignments
- Ability to demonstrate leadership, independence, and initiative in generating new ideas on all assignments
- Ability to develop, evaluate, and interpret policies and procedures; and to train others.
- Ability to be responsive to queries and requests for assistance; recognize special or unusual situations and seek assistance as necessary
- Ability to be exercise creativity, flexibility, and resourcefulness
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks by assigned deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations, and standards
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments. Strong knowledge and experience using Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Criminal background check.
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and talking.
- Occasional bending and stooping.
- Occasional lifting and climbing.