*Internship applications will be accepted until no later than 6:00pm PT on April 23, 2021.
Founded in 2003, the Transgender Legal Defense & Educational Fund (TLDEF) is a national organization committed to advancing justice and equity for transgender people through impact litigation, direct legal services, advocacy, and public education. In recent months TLDEF has secured a landmark settlement on behalf of our client resulting in one of the nation’s strongest jail policies to protect transgender people in custody, and worked with insurance companies, unions, and employers to increase nationwide access to transgender healthcare in unprecedented ways. And we’re just getting started.
TLDEF is searching for a curious and motivated Social Media Intern who can draft and curate engaging content on TLDEF’s social media accounts during a critical time for transgender rights. This internship is an ideal fit for individuals seeking to gain exposure and experience working in non-profit communications and have a strong interest in TLDEF’s mission. The Social Media Intern will report to the Program Manager and work with the Communications Consultant.
The Social Media Intern is expected to commit to 10-15 hours per week during the summer semester (May 11 – August 13, 2021). This is a remote internship and work hours are flexible, but the successful candidate will need to schedule some work time between the hours of 10:00am to 6:00pm Eastern. The Social Media Intern is required to have consistent and reliable access to a computer or laptop with Microsoft Office applications, phone and broadband internet, and a stable remote working environment.
- Maintains TLDEF social media calendar for sharing relevant, timely content on TLDEF’s social media pages. Responsible for updating internal content calendar on a regular basis.
- Provides day-to-day execution of approved content on Facebook and Twitter as directed by the Program Manager.
- Drafts and proofreads copy, graphic assets, and image descriptions for accessibility.
- Keeps up-to-date on current social media best practices and recommends new ideas.
- Monitors tags, comments, and direct messages and forwards to Program Manager as needed.
- Conducts research to inform TLDEF’s social media content, with a focus on national and state news and topics affecting transgender and non-binary people.
- Promotes TLDEF’s programs, news, and events to drive social media engagement (i.e., page clicks, attendance, and donations).
- Produces periodic progress reports about social media engagement.
- Works on special projects as assigned.
- A passion and commitment to social, racial, economic, and gender justice.
- Interest and experience with social media, digital and/or community organizing, advocacy, or other relevant experience.
- Experience creating social media content for Twitter and Facebook.
- Proficiency in trans-specific and LGBTQ+ news, events, issues, and trends.
- Ability to adapt under tight deadlines and breaking developments.
- Excellent attention to detail, such as proofreading copy to ensuring consistent font colors and formatting in graphics.
- Ability to write clearly, persuasively, and precisely in English.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications and other tools such as Slack and Zoom.
- Ability to work outside normal office hours as needed.
- Experience managing a Facebook and/or Twitter accounts with over 10,000 followers.
- Experience with Canva or Adobe Creative Cloud tools.
- Prior social media analytics experience.
- Fluency or proficiency in Spanish.