Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI) is the premier certification body responsible for global delivery and quality oversight of green building and green business sustainability standards. GBCI’s integrated team of green building specialists administer and advance the certification programs of industry leading rating systems addressing sustainability, health, and wellness in the built environment and beyond for LEED, WELL, PEER, SITES, EDGE, GRESB, ICP, and TRUE.
The GBCI Certification Operations Intern will be part of the Certification team and facilitate third party verification services to project teams, including managing relationships with a network of service vendors, resource planning and allocation, and will serve as a primary resource for escalated process and customer service issues. In coordination with the certification management team, this individual will set and ensure performance against targets for operational efficiency at GBCI.
The successful candidate is a personable team member with an aptitude for operations tasks, project management, process improvement, and a passion for learning. Known for a strong sense of ownership, problem solving, creativity, and professional accountability. Detail oriented with superior organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to embrace change and multitask in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
· Support day-to-day operations and serve as the primary point-of-contact for a wide range of GBCI certification programs: process registrations and applications, coordinate assignment of work, monitor review timelines and ensure deadlines are met, perform light technical quality control, and return project reviews to customers,
· Monitor and analyze program specific performance metrics and prepare reporting for various stakeholders.
· Be the primary point of contact for a network of service vendors: support contract updates, review and process invoices from contracted organizations, and assist with budgeting.
· Liaise with other GBCI and USGBC departments, such as Customer Service, Credentialing, Technical Solutions, and Education to provide technical and process-related support. Provide timely, effective, accurate and organized information and oversee technical resolution for diverse range of complex issues and coordination for a defined process
· Deliver outstanding customer support by providing timely, positive and professional attitude, and maintaining composure under pressure
· Support certification programs including but not limited to: business process development, integration, optimization, and management:
o Create, organize, and maintain comprehensive documentation for department business processes, tools, and applications
o Collect and synthesize feedback from end users
o Work with stakeholders to analyze, measure, and improve (or replace) existing business processes
o Align certification business processes with industry best practices (ISO 17065 and others)
o Prepare training materials and/or resources for process and technology end users
· Maintain currency of expertise of existing and emerging business tools and methods as they impact the delivery model of third-party verification services
After completing the internship, the individual will be able to:
- Demonstrate experience in a non-profit workplace and sector.
- Demonstrate familiarity with key players and effective strategies in the global green building movement.
- Demonstrate experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders in pursuit of shared goals.
- Demonstrate success managing individual workflow and identifying appropriate goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate knowledge of program management and administration.
- Demonstrate analysis and educational content development skills.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to work independently, creativity in problem solving, a willingness to learn, and flexibility in working with a variety of internal and external partners. The candidate should also be thorough with a strong attention to detail and commitment to delivering quality work.
Education & Training
- Current enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate program of study preferred.
- Degree or specialty in business administration, environmental science, nonprofit management, environmental design, architecture, interior design, planning, building operations , or data science (or relevant experience) preferred
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Strong organizational, research and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated professionalism and the ability to manage sensitive and/or confidential information
- Familiarity with Microsoft Suite – particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- Strong quantitative skills
- Commitment to USGBC/GBCI mission
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with diverse interests across all levels of the organization
Other Skills and Qualifications
- Strong sense of responsibility and attention to detail
- Ability to organize and manage large amounts of information and data
- Flexibility and ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Ability to take on responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Creative problem solving and go-getter attitude, seeks process and program improvement
- Works well in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Advanced skills with Excel a plus