Job Title: Intern, Market Development
Location: Flexible: Washington, DC or remote (working with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: June 7
End Date: 13 August (flexible)
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools and programs that credibly, transparently and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
● Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) — the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
● Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) — a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
● Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards — to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
● Plastic Waste Reduction Program — to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Given significant developments in the global climate policy context, governments and private-sector entities are increasingly engaging in a variety of environmental and financial policies and activities that provide opportunities for the voluntary carbon market and Verra’s standards in facilitating the achievement of climate and development goals. Verra is looking for a curious Market Development Intern to be an integral research partner and analyst for a span of 10 weeks in the summer of 2021.
A day with Verra’s collaborative Policy and Markets Team might include…
● Check-ins with the Market Development Manager and P&M Program Officer.
● Communication with other P&M team members via skype, zoom and email.
● Sharing results and getting feedback and support from team members about your projects.
● Attending the biweekly P&M team meetings, and Events team meetings.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading…
● Researching corporate net zero pledges and carbon credit activity and helping build a market outreach strategy for corporates.
● Completing market research via webinar attendance, calls with field experts, relevant online papers and articles; producing topical subject area syntheses.
● Analyzing and assessing the strategic value of external engagements at sustainability and carbon market related conferences and summits.
● Supporting staff attendance and participation via pre-event research.
● Corresponding with key contacts following events.
● Support submissions of Verra responses to carbon market surveys and listing platform invitations focused on the role of standards and the Voluntary Carbon Market.
You bring with you…
● A well-honed capacity for efficient research that stems from your current graduate school education.
● An keen interest in carbon markets and sustainability.
● A balance between attention to detail and ability to synthesize complex information.
● An analytical mindset.
● Curiosity and drive to support the team’s success.
● A great attitude and team-player mentality.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by…
● Working at a fast-paced, environmentally focused non-profit organization at the forefront of developments in climate action.
● A deeper understanding of carbon markets and activity across a variety of land-use and non land-use sectors.
● Understanding how the different private sector actors are shaping progress in voluntary carbon markets.
● Strategic communications experience, including presenting succinct and relevant findings.
● Obtaining quality feedback and insights during engagement with the Policy and Markets team.
You will know you are successful, if…
● You are seen as a reliable and capable addition to the team.
● You provide clear and actionable input to the team from the work you perform.
● Your contributions regarding corporate climate neutral aims and market activity enables Verra to successfully service these stakeholders.
You will join a team…
● From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
● Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
● That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
● That is growing quickly to stay at the forefront of a dynamic marketplace and policy arena.