Job Title: Intern, Policies and Markets Team
Location: Flexible: Washington, DC or remote (working with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: June 7, 2021
End date: August 13 (flexible)
Verra is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve livelihoods and protect natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools and programs that credibly, transparently and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
● Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) — the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
● Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta) — a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
● Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards — to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities and smallholders, and conserve biodiversity.
● Plastic Waste Reduction Program — to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Given significant developments in the global climate policy context, governments and private-sector entities are increasingly engaging in a variety of environmental and financial policies and activities that provide opportunities for the voluntary carbon market and Verra’s standards in facilitating the achievement of climate and development goals. To support Verra’s ability to respond to these opportunities, we are looking for a curious Policy and Markets Team Intern to be an integral research partner and communicator for a span of 10 weeks in the summer of 2021.
A day with Verra’s collaborative Policy and Markets Team might include…
● Check-ins with the Market Development Manager and Sr. Communications Manager;
● Communication with other P&M team members via skype zoom and email;
● Sharing results and getting feedback and support from team members about your projects
● Attending the biweekly P&M team meetings, and Events team meetings.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading…
● Assisting with Verra’s external engagement work, such as coordinating event documents for staff attendance at conferences, summits, etc.;
● Supporting the preparation of event materials (i.e., formatting program documents, slide decks, etc.);
● Assisting with website maintenance and update;
● Supporting the creation of electronic newsletters;
● Organizing photo and video resources;.
● Supporting team use of SuiteCRM, a contact management software platform, including entering contact and account data.
You bring with you…
● Curiosity that stems from your current or recently completed undergraduate education.
● An interest in sustainability and carbon markets.
● A strong attention to detail and interest in knowledge management.
● A drive to succeed and go above and beyond.
● A great attitude, flexibility and team-player mentality.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by…
● Learning about innovative ways of advancing climate action and sustainable development through carbon markets and standards.
● Building a basic knowledge of the communications functions in a non-profit organization.
● Working at a fast-paced, environmentally focused non-profit organization.
● Engaging with knowledge management systems including a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, shared google docs, and other office tools.
You will know you are successful, if…
● You are seen as a reliable and capable addition to the team for the summer.
● The team functions more smoothly because of your support.
● Your knowledge of carbon markets and sustainable development grows.
● You help push team deliverables across the finish line.
You will join a team…
● From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, climate negotiators, researchers, auditors, and more.
● Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
● That embodies the values Verra has established for itself, and which include Teamwork, Results, Integrity, Balance, and Exploration.
● That is rapidly growing!