About Voice of Witness:
Voice of Witness (VOW) is an award-winning nonprofit that advances human rights by amplifying the voices of people impacted by—and fighting against—injustice.
VOW’s work is driven by the transformative power of the story, and by a strong belief that an understanding of systemic injustice is incomplete without deep listening and learning from people with firsthand experience. Through two key programs—our oral history book series and education program—we amplify these voices, teach ethics-driven storytelling, and partner with advocates to:
- support and build agency within marginalized communities;
- raise awareness and foster thoughtful, empathy-based critical inquiry and understanding of injustices;
- inform long-term efforts to protect and advance human rights.
The VOW Book Series depicts human rights issues through the edited oral histories of people, VOW narrators, who are most deeply impacted and often at the heart of solutions to address injustice. The series explores issues of race-, gender-, and class-based inequity through the lenses of migration, displacement, and the criminal justice system. The VOW Education Program connects over 20,000 educators, students, and advocates each year with these stories and issues through oral history-based curricula, trainings, and holistic educational support.
Content Creation & Marketing:
- Support the sourcing, drafting, and scheduling of content that engages audiences across channels, including blog posts, email newsletters, graphics and visual materials, etc.
- Conduct social media content development, management, and strategy
- Support updates to VOW’s WordPress website: posting new content, redesigning pages, fixing issues, optimizing SEO strategies, and more
- Support Communications and Outreach Manager on the upcoming website redesign planning process
Communications Analytics & Tracking:
- Monitor communications and media analytics (across website, newsletter, social media, media mentions) and formulate recommendations for increased engagement
PR, Outreach, & Virtual Events:
- Support publicity efforts, journalist research, and media outreach
- Support virtual event planning and promotion
Qualifications and Experience:
- Some relevant work experience and/or education (in communications, website management, social media management, oral history, journalism, or human rights/social justice nonprofits)
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proactive, able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize well, with strong self-motivation
- Hard worker and quick learner
- Empathetic and committed to social justice
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Website management (WordPress or other CMS platform)
- Digital engagement strategy and/or implementation (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, social media management tools, etc.)
- Communications analytics (Google Analytics, email marketing, social media, and media/press analytics)
- Mailchimp or another email marketing platform
- Graphic design
- SEO strategy
- Photo or film editing
Term & Details:
This is a part-time, paid internship position with a required one-year long commitment. The desired term is January – December 2022, but the actual start and end dates are flexible.
The ideal candidate would be able to work between 8 and 16 hours a week. The exact number of hours and days are flexible, to be determined jointly based on the candidate’s schedule and availability. Compensation is $16.32/hour and the position is remote.