Full-time, with a total of 35 hours per week or Part-time: 2-3 days per week, with a total of 10-20 hours per week.
Deadline to apply
June 14, 2021
Who we are and what we’re looking for
Launched in October 2018, VOW for Girls is an innovative new social change initiative that aims to galvanize the public and socially conscious brands to raise critical funds and awareness to prevent and end child marriage. Co-founded by global human rights activist Mabel van Oranje and Ford Foundation President Darren Walker, VOW seeks to create new resources to support the 12 million girls’ futures at risk of child marriage each year.
VOW is seeking a Marketing & Community Engagement Intern (with a dual reporting line to the Communications & Marketing Lead and the Community Engagement Lead) to support our storytelling and content creation efforts to raise awareness of our work to end child marriage. VOW aspires to be the charity of choice of the global wedding industry, building a sharp and differentiated brand that compellingly tells the story of child marriage and inspires wedding professionals along with engaged couples and their friends and family to support the organization. You’ll help us achieve that vision.
What you’ll do
- Develop content to help execute VOW’s impact communications and content strategy, demonstrating the organization’s impact and powerfully inspiring others to join our work.
- Assist with the creation of storytelling assets including writing compelling stories about VOW’s grantees and adapting them for social media, the website, and VOW newsletter.
- Assist in gathering and adapting stories about VOW couples and VOW Pros to inspire others to join VOW including newsletter content, editorial suggestions and marketing materials.
- Write content to be used on VOW’s website for search engine marketing and promotion on VOW’s new Pinterest page.
- Gather stories related to the wedding industry, girls’ rights, child marriage, and VOW partners as part of an internal VOW newsletter.
- Research events that VOW can attend.
- Assist team with social media research, preparing pre-approved social media posts, and keyword and hashtag research for increased awareness on social media and Pinterest.
- Assist with outreach to individuals and couples who have created VOW fundraisers.
- You like to write, and you’re good at it. You know how to turn complex ideas into accessible information. You know how to move people with your words.
- Capable communicator with the ability to work well with a diverse group of people in a team setting and through virtual platforms.
- Interest in nonprofit, communications, wedding industry, and/or girls empowerment preferred.
- You are digitally savvy and follow social media trends.
- You have exceptional judgment and emotional intelligence. You’re a careful listener and can read the room. You demonstrate personal integrity and dedication.
- At least 18 years old, currently enrolled in a four-year academic institution completing a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Computer literacy, familiarity with Google Drive (docs, slides, sheets, Gmail, meet), and Slack.
- Must have access to a personal computer.
- Paid – $15 per hour (35 hours per week)
- Full-time, with a total of 35 hours per week/ Part-time: 2-3 days per week, with a total of 10-20 hours per week
- Length of internship: 8 weeks
- Ideal start date: June 28, 2021
How to apply
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter, including a short summary of why you want to work for VOW and what interests you in this position specifically. Please include how you became aware of this opportunity: job portal, referral, etc. Send your application by June 14, 2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “VOW INTERNSHIP – Marketing & Community Engagement”
VOW for Girls is based in New York City and we plan to be working remotely through 2021 due to COVID-19. We are open to candidates who are not located in New York City.
VOW is committed to racial equity and social justice and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities, to provide a wide range of perspectives, ideas, views, and insights into the strategy, policies, culture, and ambitions of VOW for Girls. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.