About the Waterfront Alliance
The Waterfront Alliance is a civic organization that brings together a diverse coalition of more than 1,100 stakeholders with ties to the New York–New Jersey waterways. Founded in 2007, our mission is to inspire and effect resilient, revitalized, and accessible coastlines for all communities. Key programs and advocacy areas include climate resilience, public access to the waterfront, the working waterfront, and climate education.
About the Position
The communications intern will support the Waterfront Alliance’s communications manager to advance the organization’s digital presence through social media campaigns, email marketing, digital asset creation, and more. The intern will support the building and strengthening of brand awareness and social engagement with frontline communities, new and existing partner organizations, and corporate donors across all sectors.
Classification: Part-time temporary, non-exempt (15-20 hours per week for four months)
Compensation: The position pays $15/hour
Location: New York, New York (remote)
Reports to: Communications Manager
- Assist with the design and execution of social media campaigns
- Create weekly and monthly editorial calendars to promote organization initiatives and programs
- Craft and design evergreen and targeted content for social channels
- Contribute to the creation of mock-ups, email campaigns, and social media content
- Schedule out pre-drafted content such as earned media, WaterWire blogs, infographics, videos, and press releases on social media
- Track social media engagement to identify high-performing ideas and campaigns for scalability
- Support marketing team at online events
- Monitor all social media platforms for trending news, ideas, and partner promotion
- Research and evaluate competitor marketing and digital content
- Other tasks and projects as assigned by the communications manager
Required Skills and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree or currently in school with a focus on communications or related fields such as advertising, marketing, or graphic design.
- Experience with major social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram, etc.
- Knowledge of social media analytics software, such as Hootsuite/ Facebook Insights/ Twitter Analytics to track audience engagement and campaign performance a plus
- Experience with content management systems, word processor applications, and image/video editing software a plus
- Well-honed copywriting and editing skills
- Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving skills
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and work sample (social media posts, blog posts, portfolio, etc.) for the Waterfront Alliance as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject should indicate “Communications Intern.” Applicants must be legally authorized to work fulltime in the U.S. and should not require employment sponsorship now or in the future. Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
As an equal opportunity employer, Waterfront Alliance encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.