Health Communication Specialists
GA – Atlanta
Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat’s research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking Communication Specialists to join our dynamic, award-winning health communication team. We are seeking a professional with experience in strategic communications and public health and/or social marketing campaigns and programs. The successful candidate should understand content creation and materials development processes, partnerships, social media strategy, training and technical assistance, and communications research. Experience in successfully engaging diverse populations, including children, young adults, and underserved populations.
• Work with project staff, clients, and external partners in the development and implementation of strategic communication and partner engagement plans.
• Conduct research, identify, and engage partners (medical professional societies, patient advocacy organizations, and industry) to support public health campaigns and health education marketing initiatives.
• Draft accurate, compelling, audience-appropriate print, web, and social media content on a range of important and emerging public health topics, including chronic and infectious diseases, disease prevention, and dissemination of research results.
• Assist in responding to inquiries about public health topics and programs.
• Work with multimedia designers and 508 compliance experts to create a range of accessible print and electronic products, including infographics, GIFS, and video animations.
• Support partner engagement activities, including the provision of technical assistance to partners.
• Maintain client relationships and proactively identify and propose solutions for project challenges.
• Assist with marketing and business development initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, public health, or related field.
• A minimum of 2 years of experience providing communications, social media, media outreach, partnership engagement, and training and technical assistance support for public health/healthcare agencies.
• Experience implementing social media strategies on current and emerging social platforms.
• Communications or PR agency experience.
• Spanish fluency.
• Experience in multicultural marketing and communications.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
Employee Stock Ownership Plan
401(k) Retirement Plan
Paid Parental Leave
Employee Assistance Program
Travel Accident Insurance
Short Term Disability Insurance
Long Term Disability Insurance
Life and AD&D Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance
Supplemental Life Insurance
Flexible Spending Account
Health Savings Account
Protecting the health and safety of our employees and survey participants is a top priority for Westat. As a federal government contractor, Westat will require Westat staff, regardless of work location, to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon hire or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, and to follow all safety protocols, subject to approved accommodations under applicable law.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.
Research – Health Studies