Employer’s Guide to Hiring Global: How-To Hire International Talent

Added value:

  • Global perspectives
  • Diversification
  • Global communication (language diversity)
  • Global network

Internships (F-1 Visa):

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows eligible students to participate in practical training related to their curriculum. Students must have completed one full academic year (Spring and Fall semesters) to be considered. Graduate students can start sooner if it is a program requirement.
  • No cost to the employer.
  • Not required to sponsor; CPT is for part-time employment (including internships).
  • Required documents: signed offer letter on company letterhead that includes the job title, a basic description of job duties, and the start and ending dates (if known). Students will submit a CPT application and academic records as part of the process.
  • Students can complete as much CPT while a full-time student until they graduate; 40 hours during the summer and up to 20 hours for Fall and Spring semesters during their second academic If a student is in the final semester of their program and approved for a reduced course load by their university, they are eligible to work full-time under CPT; however, completion of 12 months or longer of CPT will cause ineligibility for OPT.
  • Deadline/turnaround time: five to 10 working days to complete the authorization process and gain university A social security card can be received immediately.
  • Students authorized for CPT will receive an I-20 Form from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services at the University of Houston with specific approval.

Post-Graduation Employment (F-1 Visa):

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows a graduate to work full-time for up to 12 months following the completion of a Students must have completed their academic program with a degree in the area/industry they are to be employed.
  • There is no cost to the employer and no requirement to sponsor.
  • Individuals on OPT are able to travel with an official offer letter from their employer on their person and permission from the organization to Travel while OPT status is pending is not permitted.
  • Students can apply up to 90 days before graduation or 60 days after.

Longer-Term Employment (H1-B Visa):

  • Employer filing dates: Applications open starting on April 1 and remain open through October There is no official filing date for non-profit organizations, public universities or NGOs seeking to sponsor an international student.
  • Estimated cost: depends on a multitude of factors such as state of filing, year paperwork is filed and specific For the most up-to-date information on cost, visit www.uscis.gov.
  • Quota: 65,000 annual total (graduate students: 20,000).

Please refer to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website for more information: http://www.uscis.gov/ (click on “working in the U.S.).